If you want to customize a bike battery, what kind of issues might you encounter?
In this beginner’s guide, we will cover two aspects of battery customization and manufacturing: the customization options and the manufacturers.
What aspects of the battery can be customized?
When customizing a bike battery, there are several aspects to consider, including:
- Battery Type: Nickel-metal hydride battery, and lithium-ion battery.
- Nickel-metal hydride battery strike a good balance between price and performance.
- Lithium-ion battery are more expensive, but they also have the highest energy density and longest lifespan. (Tritek use Lithium-ion battery in e-mobility battery packs.)
- Battery brand: Battery brand is another important factor to consider when customizing bike batteries. Some popular brands in the market include Panasonic, Samsung, and LG. These brands are known for their high-quality and reliable batteries. However, the choice of the brand can also affect the cost of the battery, as some brands may be more expensive than others. It is important to do research on different battery brands and their performance before deciding on which brand to use for the custom battery.
Click to learn more —> Which 21700 battery is best for an e-bike?
- Voltage: The voltage of a battery refers to the amount of electrical potential difference that the battery can provide. It is measured in volts (V). Different types of bikes require different voltage levels, so it’s important to choose the right voltage for your bike battery.
For example, electric bikes typically require 36V or 48V batteries. The higher the voltage, the more powerful the motor can be, which translates into faster acceleration and higher top speeds. However, higher-voltage batteries are also more expensive and heavier than lower-voltage ones.
Learn more about —> How Battery Voltage Affects E-Bike’s Performance
- Capacity: This refers to the amount of energy the battery can store and is usually measured in ampere-hours (Ah). The higher the capacity, the longer the battery can power the bike. When customizing a bike battery, it’s essential to consider the specific power requirements of the bike and the range needed.
- Weight: The weight of the battery is a crucial factor to consider, as it affects the overall weight of the bike and its performance. Customizing a lighter battery can improve the bike’s acceleration and maneuverability. However, it’s important to balance weight reduction with capacity, as a battery with a lower capacity may not provide a sufficient range.
- Number of cells: The number of cells in a battery pack determines its voltage and capacity. The cells are connected in series to increase voltage or parallel to increase capacity. When customizing a bike battery, the number of cells should be carefully selected to meet the bike’s specific voltage and capacity requirements.
- BMS function requirements: The Battery Management System (BMS) is responsible for ensuring the battery pack operates safely and efficiently. When customizing a bike battery, it’s important to consider the specific BMS requirements to protect the battery from overcharging, over-discharging, and overheating.
- Outer shell structure: The outer shell structure protects the battery from external damage and also provides a secure attachment to the bike frame. The material and design of the outer shell should be chosen based on the bike’s usage, environmental factors, and potential risks.
- Internal structure: The internal structure of the battery determines its stability, efficiency, and safety. When customizing a bike battery, it’s important to consider the internal structure’s layout and the quality of the materials used to ensure that the battery pack operates optimally and safely.
- Battery communication: Battery communication allows the battery to communicate with the bike’s control system, providing information on battery statuses, such as remaining capacity and temperature. This information can be used to optimize the bike’s performance and improve the battery’s lifespan. When customizing a bike battery, it’s important to consider the specific communication protocol required by the bike’s control system.
Interest in E-Bike System Communication Types? Click to learn more!
Which styles have been popular in the past year or are expected to be popular in the future?
Over the past year, in-tube batteries have been popular.
In-tube batteries have become increasingly popular among electric bike users due to their lightweight, compact, and smart design. With their small size, in-tube batteries are easy to install and remove, making them convenient for users who want to quickly swap out their battery pack. This feature is especially important for e-bike commuters who need to charge their batteries during the day.
In addition to their compact size, in-tube batteries are also designed to be smart. Many models feature advanced battery management systems that monitor the battery’s performance, temperature, and charging status. This information is then relayed to the rider via a display on the e-bike’s handlebars, giving them real-time feedback on how much battery life they have left.
Finally, in-tube batteries are designed to be light, which helps to reduce the overall weight of the e-bike. This is particularly important for electric mountain bikes, where riders need to climb steep hills and navigate rough terrain. By keeping the weight of the bike low, in-tube batteries help to improve handling and control, making it easier for riders to navigate challenging terrain.
Overall, in-tube batteries offer a range of benefits for electric bike users, including a sleek and aesthetic appearance, anti-drop functions, improved functionality, and convenience. With their compact size, smart design, and lightweight construction, in-tube batteries are an excellent choice for anyone looking to upgrade their e-bike’s battery system.
In the coming year, Dual Battery Solution and Range Extender Battery batteries are expected to be popular.
Dual Battery Solution and Range Extender Battery are two types of battery systems that are expected to be popular in the coming year for light electric vehicles, such as e-bikes and e-scooters. Both systems offer unique advantages that address some of the key concerns that light electric vehicle owners have, such as range anxiety and charging infrastructure.
The Dual Battery Solution is a system that involves using two batteries in an electric bike to increase its range and power. There are two types of Dual Battery Solutions: parallel and sequential.
In the parallel battery type, two e-bike batteries are connected in parallel, providing a stable power source for the electric bike. The output voltage is the same as one battery, but the amp hours (range or power) are doubled. When one battery is depleted, the system can automatically or manually switch to the second battery.
In the sequential battery type, one battery powers the e-bike, and when it is depleted, the system automatically switches to the second battery, providing a more efficient use of the batteries.
The Range Extender Battery, on the other hand, is a smaller battery that is used to extend the range of a light electric vehicle. The range extender is typically a gasoline-powered generator that charges the main battery pack while the vehicle is in use. This system allows light electric vehicle owners to ride further without having to worry about finding a charging station.
Overall, both the Dual Battery Solution and Range Extender Battery systems offer unique advantages that make them attractive to light electric vehicle owners.
What is the process of battery customization, and how long does it take?
The process of customizing a bike battery involves several steps, including:
- Customer idea(3-7 days): Mainly include product design and project planning
- Design output(7-14 days): Design failure mode and effect analysis, Costing
- Sampling(30 days): DFMEA, Function validation, Reliability validation, Certificate validation
- Pre-series(20 days): Pre-series review, Material approval, Golden sample approval, Certificate, SOP
- Mass production(35 days): Six Sigma, Total quality management, Customer service
The time it takes to customize a bike battery varies depending on the complexity of the customization, the availability of the components, and the bike battery manufacturer’s production capacity. Generally, it takes a few months to complete the customization process.
Where are the main battery manufacturers located, and why?
The main battery manufacturers are located in China, which has become the world’s largest producer of lithium-ion batteries.
China’s dominance in the battery manufacturing industry is driven by several key factors. Firstly, China has a large and skilled workforce, which allows for efficient production at a lower cost. Additionally, the Chinese government has made significant investments in the development of the battery industry, including funding research and development initiatives and providing subsidies for battery manufacturers.
China also has abundant reserves of lithium, which is a key component of lithium-ion batteries, as well as other raw materials such as cobalt and nickel. These resources allow for greater control over the supply chain and lower costs for manufacturers.
Furthermore, China’s advanced technology and manufacturing capabilities have helped it to stay ahead of its competitors in the battery market. With a focus on automation, digitization, and artificial intelligence, Chinese manufacturers can produce batteries at a faster rate and with greater precision than many of their global counterparts.
What factors should be considered when sourcing bike batteries from Chinese suppliers?
- R&D capability of lithium-ion battery manufacturers:
A survey of R&D capabilities can help assess whether bike battery manufacturers can convert clients’ ideas into reliable products.
Tritek, with a strong and professional team and 15 years of experience as an ODM battery manufacturer, uses software technology to design intelligent batteries that can transform clients’ ideas into reliable products.
It is necessary to research and determine the specifications of the lithium-ion battery product so that you can get quotes from different manufacturers for the same product.
Tritek provides lithium-ion battery products that are competitive within your budget range.
- Product specifications:
Most Chinese lithium-ion battery manufacturers lack customized product specifications and may use any off-the-shelf components to assemble your product, so you need to specify the manufacturer and the component specifications you want.
Tritek’s design is customer-oriented – IATF16949: PPAP, QCP – and the final product is customer-oriented.
In many lithium-ion battery manufacturers, there may be some cheap ones that seem cost-effective, but this means that you may compromise on quality.
Look for manufacturers that can maintain a high-quality supply chain, rather than choosing the cheapest supplier from inexpensive manufacturers, as the final product may not meet your expectations, which may waste time and money. You need to ensure that the manufacturer has high-quality materials and strict quality assurance processes. You can check the components and ensure that the manufacturer uses the same components in the assembly process.
Tritek’s quality system has ISO14001, ISO9001, ISO13485, IPC membership qualifications, implements IATF16949 in terms of quality control, and cooperates with top companies in the automotive industry.
- Safety standards and regulations:
Lithium e-bike batteries imported to many markets such as the United States, Europe, Canada, and Australia are subject to product safety regulations. In addition, some specific regulations apply to batteries and other components. Some suppliers or manufacturers may not be aware of them or may not control them. Therefore, ensure that your supplier provides safety test reports, uses brand-name products, and ensures that their products are safe and compliant.
Tritek not only designs intelligent batteries using software technology, but also strictly produces according to global LEV battery certification standards, such as EN15194:2017, UN38.3, CE, FCC, UN-package, RoHS, CB, UL, and outbound goods packaging functional inspection certificates.
- Production and delivery:
Initially, the order quantity may be relatively small. When future order quantities increase or decrease, it is important to investigate the manufacturer’s production and delivery capabilities before cooperation, as this will change your product sales plan or cause delays.
Tritek’s production capacity: SMT line has an hourly output of 250,000 points and 2700 units. And our semi-automatic pack assembly line has an hour output of 120 battery packs. 100% AOI test, 100,000-level dust-free workshop; 100% ICT test, aging test, automation function test. All of these facilities enable you to import e-bike lithium-ion batteries from China without delay in any quantity.
- After-sales service:
Battery manufacturers with excellent quality have few records of after-sales feedback and convenient after-sales service. After-sales service is the last factor to investigate when selecting a battery manufacturer, as it can help you solve many difficult after-sales problems.
The Tritek Intelligent Battery Management System (BMS), intelligent APP, battery status, battery pack, battery, independent monitoring, records, and error records, can provide powerful evidence for quickly identifying after-sales problems with the battery.
In addition, there is an after-sales center in Spain, and two after-sales service centers will be established in Germany and the United States to provide customers with more efficient and convenient after-sales service.
What certifications are required for a safe lithium-ion battery pack?
- EN15194:2017: This is a European standard that specifies safety requirements and test methods for electric bikes. Compliance with this standard ensures that electric bikes are safe to use and meet certain performance criteria.
- UN38.3: This is a United Nations standard that outlines testing procedures for lithium-ion batteries to ensure their safety during transportation. Compliance with this standard is necessary for shipping lithium-ion batteries internationally.
All electric bike smart lithium-ion batteries made by Tritek are certified with UN38.3.
- UN-package: This refers to the packaging used for hazardous materials during transportation. The packaging must meet certain requirements to ensure the safety of those handling and transporting the materials.
Tritek has its own UN-package supplier to fulfill each lithium battery.
- UL: This is a safety certification organization that tests and certifies products for safety. Products that carry the UL mark have been tested and certified to meet specific safety standards.
Tritek is an experienced expert on electric bike battery packs, we are confident and can follow up on UL requirements to produce each lithium-ion battery pack.
- CE: This is a European certification that indicates a product meets safety, health, and environmental protection standards. It is mandatory for certain products sold within the European Union.
- FCC: This is a certification issued by the Federal Communications Commission in the United States, indicating that a product meets certain radio frequency emission standards.
- CB: This is a certification issued by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) indicating that a product meets certain safety standards. It is recognized in over 50 countries.
- RoHS: This is a European Union directive that restricts the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment. Compliance with this directive is mandatory for products sold within the European Union.
What certificates are required for exporting batteries from China to the US and Europe?
When exporting batteries from China to the US and Europe, several certificates are required, including:
To the US: FCC; UL2271 (Below 1500 Wh, excluded ISO 13849 HW); IEC62133; UN 38.3; ISO 13849; Prop 65
To the Europe: EN 15194:2017; CE-EMC; UN 38.3; MSDS; IP965 and IP967; ROHS 2.0
Tritek takes around 3-10 months to make customized batteries to suit customer needs with all the necessary certifications.
What is the minimum order quantity (MOQ) for custom batteries?
The MOQ for customizing a bike battery varies depending on the manufacturer and the complexity of the customization. Generally, the MOQ for bike battery customization is around 200 pieces.
How to transport batteries classified as dangerous goods?
Transporting dangerous batteries, such as lithium-ion batteries, requires compliance with strict international regulations to ensure safety, such as UN38.3 and IATA regulations, and must be properly labeled and packaged to ensure safety during transportation.
Read more about transport e-bike battery:
Tritek, founded in 2008, has grown rapidly in the battery industry, thanks to its unwavering commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. The company’s location in Shenzhen, Guangdong, provides it with a strategic advantage, as it is located in one of China’s leading manufacturing and innovation hubs.
Tritek’s experienced R&D team of over a hundred people ensures that the company is always at the forefront of technology and innovation. Their expertise is instrumental in the development of high-quality batteries that meet the diverse needs of customers in various industries. Tritek is continuously investing in research and development to provide cutting-edge solutions that help businesses stay competitive in today’s fast-paced and rapidly evolving market.
The company’s high production capacity is one of its main strengths, which enables it to meet the increasing demand for battery solutions worldwide. Tritek’s advanced manufacturing processes and strict quality control ensure that every battery pack that leaves its factory meets the highest standards of quality and reliability.
Furthermore, Tritek’s fast delivery times and timely after-sales service are other reasons why it has become a trusted partner for businesses worldwide. The company understands the importance of timely delivery in today’s business environment, and it ensures that orders are delivered promptly to customers.
Tritek’s battery solutions are widely used in various industries, including E-bike battery, E-motorcycle battery, Cargo bike battery, energy storage systems, telecommunications, and more. The company’s batteries have been tested and certified by numerous organizations, including CE, RoHS, UL, and UN38.3, among others.
Tritek’s commitment to excellence extends beyond just the products it manufactures. The company also places great emphasis on environmental responsibility and sustainability, ensuring that its operations have minimal impact on the environment. Tritek adheres to stringent environmental regulations and utilizes eco-friendly manufacturing practices, making it an ideal partner for businesses that prioritize sustainability.
In conclusion, Tritek’s decade-long experience, highly experienced R&D team, high production capacity, fast delivery times, strict quality control, and timely after-sales service make it a leading player in the battery manufacturing industry. The company’s commitment to excellence and sustainability has earned it a reputation as a reliable partner for businesses in need of high-quality battery pack solutions.